Thread: Best binoculars in the ~$500 range

Default Best binoculars in the ~$500 range

And I did a search...all info either outdated or cheaper price range.

Use for deer hunting.....coming from Leupold Mojave 8x42 for comparison

Importance

- low light performance
    - lightweight (wear on a harness)
    - field of view

Let me know any deals out there as well.....considering : ziess / higher end Vortex / etc

Quote Originally Posted by jwterry3 View Post
    And I did a search...all info either outdated or cheaper price range.

Use for deer hunting.....coming from Leupold Mojave 8x42 for comparison

Importance

- low light performance
    - lightweight (wear on a harness)
    - field of view

Let me know any deals out there as well.....considering : ziess / higher end Vortex / etc

Save a couple more hundred and buy what your looking for in that last sentence

I like my zen rays!
    It's always High Tide in the High Tide

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Get a quality porro prism bino compared to a roof prism. Better light transmission, depth of field, and focal range. Roof's are what's in vogue so it is hard to find a good porro. A technician at Swarovski told me a few weeks ago that the best roof's today have NEARLY (but not quite) caught up with the best porro's from 15 years ago. The porro design is inherently better at light transmission, depth of field and focal range. The roof design is typically more robust and slimmer in profile though. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Right now researching....ziess terra ED / Vortex Talon and Viper Hd /

Aimed at 8 x 42

Viper HDs. No doubt. If low-light is on the top of your list, look at the Vortex Vulture HDs. Little cheaper, bigger objectives, still really good glass.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Vortex viper HD!
    HRCH Werts's Rusty Explorer "Drake" MH

I have vortex talons and really like them
    "Lord prop me up in all my leanin places"

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    I just like saying Dik Dik

Vortex diamondback 8x42 bino's, great ones for the money.

Stiener Predators let me see past where my Trijicon will. If I can't see it in the Trijicon, then I can't shoot it anyway. It's got to be damn near completely dark not to see it in that scope.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Woodduckkilla View Post
    Vortex diamondback 8x42 bino's, great ones for the money.
    X2

I have the 10 x 50 Viper HDs. Really good in low light and light enough to carry.

I have a pair of steiners. Forgot which model they are but were well over a grand new. With that being said my brother left his in a stand so I made a comparison in stand. His are weaver. I was very impressed with his compared to mine. Not as good but they are damn close. The clarity was lacking a lil last few minutes of legal shooting time but could still make out the deer enough to tell what they were. I wouldn't be hesitate to buy a pair like his weavers

Default Bought the vipers

ThNks for the help....bought a store model new 8x42 vipers for $500

Did a good bit of research here and these are my opinions from research and actually handling / viewing the binocs:

HD
    Vortex viper =compact / rugged / very clear all the way to the edges / lighter feeling than all others
    Vortex Talon = larger footprint than competitors but still very clear / heavier feeling than the vipers
    Bushnell Ultra = pretty clear / good low light but kinda cheap,feeling
    ED
    Nikon Monarch 7 = awesome ...almost bought but got vipers for $75 more
    Ziess terra = good build but not as clear as above...Un impressed at low light ability
    Vortex Diamondbacks - nice for the $$.... Just didn't compare to HD models obviously
    Meopta Meopro = heavy as shat but nice

I've got the 10x42 Viper HDs and used to have a pair of Swaro 10x42s(I think they were the EL model). Honestly, the Swaros were a little brighter for the last 2 or 3 minutes of light, but not much. And definitely not worth the extra $ IMO. And like those Meoptas, they're heavy as hell. You won't be dissappointed with the Vipers.