Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Pits

Default Fire Pits

Now that we've moved in I want to try to tackle my backyard. Let me see what you've done. Need some ideas.

As bad as it sounds........ You should get on Pintrest and search fire pits. You'll get pages and pages of results with links to the websites with instructions and design samples.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

RK, you need to turn it your Man Card for a few days. Kinda like a time out.

No way!! I don't actually have the app myself. It's one that my wife always tries to get me to download. When I find something of interest she always looks it up on Pintrest and then tells me how much I need the app. Im a Google addict. If I can't find it with a Google search I figure I don't need it.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    RK, you need to turn it your Man Card for a few days. Kinda like a time out.
    I second that haha

I built one last year with stacked stones and had a guy weld me a metal ring for the "liner" of the pit. Turned out pretty good, never having worked with mortar, etc before.

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEGIRLS View Post
    I built one last year with stacked stones and had a guy weld me a metal ring for the "liner" of the pit. Turned out pretty good, never having worked with mortar, etc before.

That's what I'm thinking. Stones from lowes?

Default Fire Pits

Be careful with the mortar. I did that in mine and over two years time, the heat has been too much for it. Mortar has cracked all too pieces and stones are loose.
    Last edited by billbuster84; 10-26-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    I did mine with Lowe's stones (of course).

I'll go count 'em in a little while if you want me to.

Works like a charm. Burnt several times last year and none of the bricks broke because of heat.

Instead of out of the bag mortar use a clay and fine sand mixture 60/40. Mortar will breakdown with heat. Clay/sand mix will not.
    Last edited by reeltight; 10-26-2014 at 05:28 PM.

I just used some large retaining wall blocks. No mortar needed. Many a large hot fire and no heat damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I just used some large retaining wall blocks. No mortar needed. Many a large hot fire and no heat damage.

Think that is what I'm gonna end up going with. Trying to figure out if I am just going to get a bunch of pea gravel and make a sitting area or do pavers like yours

I need that trailer
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Pavestone has some neat fire pits and pavers. I think Home Depot sells them

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I need that trailer
    I've already called dibs.

I have a couple of old wagon wheel rims that were welded together for my insert. going to fit inside of some retaining wall stuff, just like Steelin did...and I wont do something dumb like use mortar.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Default Fire Pits

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post

You are talking about man made block. I believe when he says stones he means actual rock. Edit. Nm didn't see his reply.

Tennessee/Pennsylvania fieldstone
    Stack or veneer or a little of each.

Google firepits. You can get a cheap kit for a couple hundred or you can do something nice out of stone with firebrick just depends on what you want to spend.

We build them all the time and get around 3 k for one like this.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414375066.699688.jpg
    Last edited by cut em'; 10-26-2014 at 08:59 PM.
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

Don't you have to be careful with some stone? Can't they blow up

No never seen that. I've heard stories about river rock that have been in the river pulled out and placed in a fire and having them pop but I've never tested that.

If you use stone and mortar just use fire clay or fire mortar. Can mix it with your mortar. Can be purchased at most brick type places.
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

If you can manage, create a way for it to drain so that if no cover it doesn't have standing water in the bottom when you go to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by cut em' View Post
    You are talking about man made block. I believe when he says stones he means actual rock. Edit. Nm didn't see his reply.

Tennessee/Pennsylvania fieldstone
    Stack or veneer or a little of each.

Google firepits. You can get a cheap kit for a couple hundred or you can do something nice out of stone with firebrick just depends on what you want to spend.

We build them all the time and get around 3 k for one like this.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414375066.699688.jpg
    Nice looking work
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."- Robert E. Lee