Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pump help

At our hunt club we have put back into use an old impoundment with dikes, drains and all. It's full of mature pearl, Japanese, and brown top millet right now and we need to put water on it.
    The only catch is that the water shed we are pumping out of is above it and there is a 50-60' dam between the two. I have gotten an outside sales rep from sunbelt to come out and look at it and h says that a 4-6" diesel pump will do it as long as we place the pump on the pond side and are pumping up and over into the field. So I guess I have three questions:

Can someone confirm that this pumping plan will work?

Does anyone have any advice as far as where I could rent a pump in the Charlotte/Rockhill area? United, Rain for rent, and Godwin pumps only rent to corp accts. Sunbelt is the only one I have found so far that will rent to an individual. We will be hauling it to the location.

For the record I haven't gotten a hard figure but when he came out he quoted me about $800-875 to rent the 6" for two days (haven't been able to get ahold of the SOB since) I believe or the same to rent the 4" for a week(because after three days they consider that a week).

Lastly, when do you guys normally flood? We we're thinking about early to mid November.

Thanks in advance , I have included some pics

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I do not have any recent pics but it has all turned now.

i'm kinda confused. how else would you pump besides up and over the dam? Unless you have a pipe or some risers in there.

I would pump starting yesterday.

how much water is in the watershed? is its a pond? how much crap is in it? clean water?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and its real hard to tell from the pics but is that pond level? in other words, if you are pumping in from where you took the pic, where would the water go?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and its real hard to tell from the pics but is that pond level? in other words, if you are pumping in from where you took the pic, where would the water go?
    This, it looks like a big slope there.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I cant remember if I asked you or not, but, what's you plan for saturation? After the pump has been returned and the water starts to drop?

It looks like the pond water level is higher in elevation than the impoundment. If so, you can rig up a siphon and "pump" water using gravity instead of diesel.

I am standing on the dam. The view over the pond looks the same the other way. It's about the same amount of distance down the pond. The pond is fairly clean, and deep. I haven't thought very much about saturation, more about just trying to procure a pump. I am going hunting in the morning down there and will post more pics. GRW a siphon has already been atempted from what I'm told and they weren't successful. You can see some of the left over pipe in the grass beside my truck.

Didn't someone have a pump for sale on here not too long ago?

Yeah I could do the calcs for you with more information. Im a project manager for a pumping company now, and have designed many piping systems. From the sound of it though, if the body of water is above where you are pumping water too, then pump head wont really be a problem and you should mostly size the pump for the GPM you want to move. In other words how long do you want to run this pump before the pond fills up?

It depends on what the different options cost. I know if a smaller pump consumes less diesel per hr it will also take longer because it won't be pumping as much so I'm not sure where those numbers will kind of level themselves out.

I siphoned water from my pond when it was overflowing. I didn't have much drop to work with but it worked great. The biggest issues were getting the pipe full in the first place and making sure it can't suck ANY air.

What I would try in your situation is to set a pump down by the lower pond and pump water up to the uphill pond. Put the end of the pipe under the water in the uphill pond. Once you get the water flowing and the pipe is completely full of water, cut off the pump, disconnect the pipe and let the water siphon back down while keeping the lower end of the pipe facing up until you can get it submerged in the lower pond, Keep both ends of the pipe submerged.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I siphoned water from my pond when it was overflowing. I didn't have much drop to work with but it worked great. The biggest issues were getting the pipe full in the first place and making sure it can't suck ANY air.

What I would try in your situation is to set a pump down by the lower pond and pump water up to the uphill pond. Put the end of the pipe under the water in the uphill pond. Once you get the water flowing and the pipe is completely full of water, cut off the pump, disconnect the pipe and let the water siphon back down while keeping the lower end of the pipe facing up until you can get it submerged in the lower pond, Keep both ends of the pipe submerged.
    That should work..it will just take a while

The issue would be the lift and the amount of pipe on the suction side.

G

Diesel cost may be $500 per day.

You can over fill the pond by 6 inches and that will take care of saturation......assuming it takes 2-3 days to fill. It won't take care of evaporation a month later.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Where is the outlet from the pond? if the outlet were to be higher than the planted area, then divert flow by trenching, just have some way of stopping the flow in the trench (gate, riser, berm with pipe, etc), and don't tell ACOE

If the pond outlet is lower than the planted area, your next easiest option is siphoning. Don't give up, this will be your easiest and cheapest bet
    Last edited by Murray; 10-16-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks. I will get you guys some pics of the pond, spillway, spillway outlet, and general photos of the dam situation. Believe me I would love to be able to siphon.

And a shorter siphone will make it much easier due to head,friction loss, and avoiding air in the pipe. Don't pipe it all the way to the planted area, get the siphone outlet just lower in elev. than the siphone inlet then trench it to the millet
    Last edited by Murray; 10-16-2014 at 05:27 PM.

What size pipe did you use for the siphone?

They used 4". I don't know when they tried it. Most of the pipe shows years of being in the elements

4 will probably work. It has to be airtight