Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluma Weld Rebuild

Default Aluma Weld Rebuild

I bought a 1648 Aluma Weld w/ 40hp Johnson today. It hull needs some work and the tilt/trim has some issue but the engine runs good. The carpet was trashed and the foam under the floor was water logged.

When I got it home.

After a few hours of work...

I will be painting the hull camo, paint the motor black and put hydroturf on the floor. I will also be adding a small stereo system, led lights like I had in my Gator Tail rig and shark eyes in the front.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

You didn't waste any time, did you! Looks like a fun project. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrow View Post
    You didn't waste any time, did you! Looks like a fun project. Keep us posted.
    No time like the present..

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

Sportin' Woodies

If its anything like your other boats I'm sure it will be sweet!
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Looks like a lot of work. Last time I removed marine grade carpet someone told me about airplane stripper, I think was the name of it. I got it at auto zone and did a good job of stripping the left over adhesive off. May be worth looking in to.
    Last edited by willyworm; 02-22-2014 at 10:35 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Looks like a lot of work. Last time I removed marine grade carpet someone told me about airplane stripper, I think was the name of it. I got it at auto zone and did a good job or stripping the adhesive off. May be worth looking in to.
    The carpet was so bad, I just grabbed it and pulled it off, no scraping or anything. I will take a wire wheel and clean up the remaining glue.

Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    If its anything like your other boats I'm sure it will be sweet!
    Thanks man.. I enjoy to tinker on stuff.

Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    The carpet was so bad, I just grabbed it and pulled it off, no scraping or anything. I will take a wire wheel and clean up the remaining glue.
    I think he was talking about aircraft coating stripper or paint stripper to remove the carpet glue. It literally turns it to jelly and you can pressure wash it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    I think he was talking about aircraft coating stripper or paint stripper to remove the carpet glue. It literally turns it to jelly and you can pressure wash it off.
    Ohhhh... Heck yea. That would be alot easier.

Sportin' Woodies

This
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Got home from Church today and got busy. All of the drains to the bilge were filled with foam. The guy I bought it from said "it dont leak dude"....hell you couldn't tell if it was leaking b/c the foam was soaking it up. I have pulled four 30gal bags of carpet and water logged foam. After all of the foam was out and the drains to the bilge opened up, I pulled the motor off and cut all of the wires out. The wiring was a complete cluster F$%C.

Gas tank and battery compartment.

Will be replacing the open cell foam that was in the boat with closed cell foam.

Now I have to finish cleaning off the glue, pressure wash the inside and start putting it all back together. When I was closing the door to the shop, the windshield got caught under it and broke it all to pieces. Now I've got to find a new windshield.

I bought two rolls of the diamond pattern anti fatigue mats from pepboys. Its the same material as Hydroturf but I will be able to finish the whole boat for less than one sheet of HT. I will keep everyone informed on the durability of it.

Sportin' Woodies

FWIW next time instead of risking cracks in your cowling, you can lift your motor by the ring thats above the top cylinder.

FWIW next time instead of risking cracks in your cowling, you can lift your motor by the ring thats above the top cylinder.
    Thanks for the heads up. I saw that but didn't know if it would actually hold the motor, thats why I went the way I did with the lifting. Its going on a stand tomorrow.

The tilt/trim on the motor is SHOT. Do you think its worth spending 400 - 500 to get it working or put a CMC PT130 or don't worry with tilt/trim?

Sportin' Woodies

That looks like a good project! I'm excited to see the results

What's wrong with the tilt/trim? Motor issue or something with the piston or pump?

Do a google search for UDP plastics for a windshield. That's were I got mine for my Keywest.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

Quote Originally Posted by codeman216 View Post
    What's wrong with the tilt/trim? Motor issue or something with the piston or pump?
    Motor is shot, trim ram is shot, pump is probably shot and the hose going to the tilt ram is all cracked.

Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by SNAP Hunter View Post
    Do a google search for UDP plastics for a windshield. That's were I got mine for my Keywest.
    thanks for the heads up.

Sportin' Woodies

Motor is shot, trim ram is shot, pump is probably shot and the hose going to the tilt ram is all cracked.
    Gotcha. I bought a unit second hand to put on my Yamaha before I sold it, but it had too much wrong with it to spend the money to get it fixed. IMO I'd rather spend the $500 or so on CMC instead of rebuilding such a shotty unit.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

The tilt/trim on the motor is SHOT. Do you think its worth spending 400 - 500 to get it working or put a CMC PT130 or don't worry with tilt/trim?
    Depends on whats wrong with it. I replaced the motor on my 100 horse from a place on Amazon for like 90 bucks I think. If the lift cylinder is bad it may be able to put a seal kit in it. Unless it suffered heavy salt water intrusion I don't think there's much to go wrong with the cylinder. I would definitely want tilt and trim if its available, I love me some tilt and trim. A lot of times the motor will allow water and and kaputs...If you hook it to a battery and try it what does it do?

Sweet project for sure, I wish I could stop re-building boats but its like an addiction I think. I know a lot of people feel strongly for the use of foam but I myself don't use it. There has to be a lot of foam in an aluminum boat to float it if its completely swamped and pics I have seen it'll just barely keep the rails at the top of the water.

Keep us posted on the progress. Also, that glue sucks...Im fighting some myself now.
    You can grow up to be just like me....