Thread: pioneer boat and johnson motor

Default pioneer boat and johnson motor

Thoughts on 175 baysport pioneer boat and 115 johnson 2 stroke motor?
    motor is saltwater series.
    Never had boat before but looking and found one i'm interested but wanted some educated thoughts first before investigating further.....
    boath are 2005 and around 300 hours on it.

is 2 stroke going to be as dependable as a 4 stroke fuel injected?

seem to be well maintained....speedometer doesn't work but think that would be somewhat minor repair.....other than that, no frills boat which is what i'm looking for and just want something for family to run around on and tube and fish a little bit. Be nice to have it to take to edisto from time to time...

thanks.
    "Preach the Gospel everyday; if necessary, use words."

As far as the motor I would run a compression test, check gearcase for water in the oil or take it to someone and have it checked out.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Get the motor checked out fully. 115 on a 175 Baysport will probably do what you need.

Pioneer makes a solid boat, I love my 222SF.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Would definitely get checked by mechanic before buying but just wanted to know a little bit more on 2 stroke v 4 stroke motors.....
    Rode in boat and it seemed to fly with the 115 on there....definitely enough power for what I want to do with it........

Apples vs Oranges
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I've never been a fan of the evinrude ocean pro/Johnson saltwater motors. That being said if it is one of the v4 115 motors, they are quite strong

That boat with out a t-top runs 45 with a normal load. Saw 50 one time by myself light load with the current. Never could duplicate though. It is faster than a bone stock yamaha 130 2 stroke.

Solid boat, not my favorite motor either. Had one with same 115 for 2 years. Gave good service, strong and was not bad on fuel if you keep the throttle pulled back.

Motor does seem very strong just wondering about dependability of it vs a yamaha or honda 4 stroke.....

They all break I don't care what or who makes um

Think it would be tough to sell in a couple seasons if i;m ready to upgrade or just not using it enough to justify keeping?

Is that still a Ficht motor at that point? I can't remember what year they stopped. If so, Evinrude took a pounding because of those motors. Really bad computers.

Default pioneer boat and johnson motor

The ficht ram injection motors were not reliable between '97 until the bankruptcy of OMC
    Last edited by Gone South; 08-06-2014 at 02:58 PM.

That's a bombardier I believe

Johnson didn't have a fuel injected 2-stroke in 2005, and I don't recall the ficht/ram injected motor being offered in anything less than 150hp. I believe those old carbed 90 and 115 2 strokes were pretty good motors if you kept the ethanol fuel out of them.

I have a bombardier. Never will again. Once the computer starts tucking up its one thing after another and damn expensive too....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

fricht was 150 hp and 200 hp ..... this was carbed 2 stroke 115 hp.

2,051/hrs. on the 2009 E-Tec. She runs everyday.

They did make a 115 Ficht although that's not what you are looking at. There is nothing wrong with the motor you looking at other than from a service/rigging complexity. None of which should really concern you. I personally prefer the older 90 degree 4 bangers. In that year frame the Johnsons were noted as the Saltwater motors with the Ocean runner badging and available in 25 in shaft. Most Evinrudes were marketed to the fresh water folks and we're usually 20 inch shafts. Not that it matters cause they were all built the same other than a sacrificial anode or 2 here and there.
    Should make a nice little rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Anyone got good or bad experiences with Holcombe Marine in Leesville---SC boat seller is closest to him for doing the compression test.....