Thread: Mayflies

Default Mayflies

Thickest I have ever seen them on this part of the Wateree...

They say thats the most accurate sign of a healthy watershed.

They were so bad(good?) on Lake Huron, boat rides in an open cockpit boat were miserable.

I can still taste them.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

They taste more or less like almonds. Great protein for any mammal, fish, insect, hell whatever. Sumbitches stink like dead carp though if you, like I did, leave the light on over your cleaning table...

You couldn't catch a fish for 2 weeks. They are so bad up there, you take a broom to your windshield every morn. Wipers squashed them.

A few mile out on the lake, they gathered on current seams very similiar to a sargasso weed line here.. pure bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

I have seen them in the river floating South of the trestle at Packs in such lines with rockfish busting the hell out of whatever was feeding on them.

In SC, in a perfect world, they would be called Juneflies...

Around 2000 or so they blacked out both bridges (95 and the old 301) from end to end.

I've seen big mayflies lines stretch from the bridges to eutawville. Fish definitely stay on them.

A mayfly hatch on a lone cypress a good ways from others is flyrod heaven.
    You can really hammer some monster bream.....or catch 1500 white perch
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

They thick as I have seen in the HOLE in the last 20/yrs. Makin a mess on the deck and boat and ain't got no lights on. Spider's eatin good though
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Take A 3-4 wt fly rod and some dries and you will have a ball with the bream during the hatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk