Thread: another where to stay in Atlanta

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Default another where to stay in Atlanta

I know Sheep was asking and if you found anything good let me know if you would sir. I don't mind staying 30 minutes or so out side of Atlanta but I promised the family we'd do something before the boy goes back to school and the Aquarium and Zoo has trumped. Might get in a Falcons stadium tour as well. Looking to stay 2-3 nights and my number one concern is safety for my family. I have been through Atlanta and seen some of its "splendor" so Im a little concerned but if you know of a place first hand we can stay that's safe, clean, and close to French fries n chicken for the kids please let me know. A pool is a plus as well. I aint getting out of the Atlanta trip but I would like us all to make it home. Thanks fellas
    You can grow up to be just like me....

We stay in McDonugh GA when we are working south of Atlanta.

If you don't want to stay downtown and want to be relatively close to Atlanta while being on the better part of town I would recommend staying up the 400 corridor. Phipps Plaza/Lenox Rd area is an uppidy place or you could go further up 400 outside of 285. Perimeter Hammond Dr. has a Hampton Inn or keep going and head towards Roswell, Alpharetta, or Cumming) All nicer more residential areas and still not too bad of a drive to downtown after morning rush hour is over. Major hotels off most of the exits.

If you want to stay closer to downtown the Atlantic Station Area North of town at the 75/85 split is a pretty decent area as well or you could look into The "W" Atlanta - Midtown location close to Piedmont Park.
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 07-22-2014 at 09:53 PM.

There is a Marriott Courtyard in Buckhead on Peachtree that is nice and a Double Tree across the street that is nice as well.

I stay there several dozen times throughout the year and they are in a nice area with plenty of good food and lots of stuff to do.

They are next door to the Marta hub which is very nice........I would take that where ever you wanted to go.

I have a rate at the Marriott which you can try and use and it should save you about $100/night.........I will PM you my information.

Y'all will have fun, you just have to get out of the "Atlanta Sucks" mindset.

I think we are staying near the aquarium.. Every where is about the same price. High. We are a little late reserving though.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Midtown is nicer than the underground area. You can stay there and ride the Marta anywhere close to where you want to be. Last time I was there the Marta was full of cops so it felt pretty safe with a family.
    Last edited by GRN HED KILR; 07-23-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Marta is getting better and they do a good job on the nights when there are games. If it were me, I'd stay north. I live outside the Perimeter and take the Marta to the games. It's about a 40 min ride with the bus(takes you from the Marta to the stadium) for me. Walking through Atlanta Underground is the worst part. Luckily you only have to walk through it on the way to the game and they take you to the Marta station after the game. $2.50 one way/person for the Marta or you can get day passes. If you're going to a Friday night game with the fireworks show afterwards, be prepared to be patient with the massive crowd all leaving at once.

You have options to stay DT or within a short distance(probably gonna cost you double for a hotel vs. staying out a ways). Uber(ride sharing app) is a great way to get around the city if you start walking and doing the tourism stuff. You can always stay in Mid-Town, Brookhaven, Buckhead, Dunwoody and have an enjoyable experience but you'll be some distance from DT/Stadium.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

When looking at staying in Atlanta, you want to stay on the north end. Ride Marta during the day to get around and use Uber at night.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004