Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheetrock question

Default Sheetrock question

Started remodeling our kitchen. My ex fil came over and gave me the basics on it. My question is when mudding the joints its starting to blister in areas. What causes that? Is the mud sitting in the pan to long?
    Non Supporting Member

Do you mean it looks like a big bubble behind the tape? If so, you may need to make sure you're pressing as much of the mud out from behind the tape as you can. Think of the first application as a thin layer of glue to get the tape to stick to the sheetrock. Then build up on top of that. Hope this helps.

No. Its normally coming up on the 2nd or 3rd layer of mud. Basically this is the way he told me to go about it. Mud joint add tape. Squeeze out mud from behind tape. After 24hrs? Come back with a 8" trowel and mud over joint. Let dry then come back with a 10" trowel. Let dry then finally a 12" trowel. Its normally popping up on my final coat. I'm keeping the mud constantly stirred in between my joints. I normally can work a majority of the bubbles out. Just want to see what's causing this and if it will cause a future issue.
    Non Supporting Member

Not enough in the bed, and too much on the finish run.

I fricking hate drywall. What ever it costs to have someone else do it, is worth every flipping penny.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Not enough in the bed, and too much on the finish run.

I fricking hate drywall. What ever it costs to have someone else do it, is worth every flipping penny.
    X2

I built a nice shop and office behind my house. We did all the work except the roofing, 12-12, and the finishing of the drywall. You have to know when to call for help.

It is a ART to it. Lots of Mud is the key and the right kinda weather
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I rather roof, than shitrock.

And that is saying a lot
    Last edited by smitch320; 07-21-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Humidity issues maybe? New construction or heated environment?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    I know I am going to hate myself for asking this...

but please tell me what dawn will do for bubble tape?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I know I am going to hate myself for asking this...

but please tell me what dawn will do for bubble tape?
    I know it helps cure dogs of rabies

I think hes talking about pock marks in the mud. If so the soap will help, makes it run smoother. A painted wall, too much mud per coat, too much mixing.. will put air in the mud too.

If its bubbles in the tape, burn it down.. and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I know it helps cure dogs of rabies
    So does a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    I think hes talking about pock marks in the mud. If so the soap will help, makes it run smoother. A painted wall, too much mud per coat, too much mixing.. will put air in the mud too.
    That's a pro tip right there. Never thought about mixing it in the mud.

But, I think he is talking about a big bubble in the paper tape. The only way I know to fix those, is to cut them out. Also another cause of that, is not just not enough mud, but waiting too long to bed the tape. If a piece gets dry and doesnt set in the tape, it will bubble.

I havent done much drywall work, but what I have, I have learned that it is super damned easy to fuck up, and super damned hard to fix the fuck ups.

Its not in the tape at all. Its usually in the final coat. I looks like a bunch of blisters in the mud.
    Non Supporting Member

#messicans

Who in their right mind does their own sheetrock work???

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    This guy!
    Non Supporting Member

Pull the joint out, you got voids, bubbles in it. Mud was probably too tight and thick when you put the bed coat on. Mix it where it sticks to the trowel good but looks real creamy in consistency. For ease, get some mesh tape, after you knife in your bed coat, apply the mesh and run the knife back over to bed it fully. Let the bed coat fully cure before you put the next one on or you're going to fight it. Mix the second coat a little stiffer than the bed, the float coat should be a little stiffer still. Sand and paint.

Skim coating needs to be the consistency of the bed coat.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post

I know how to do it, I know how to price it and I know how to manage it. But I'll be damned if I'm actually going to hang and finish it.

Y'all bitch about Messicans, those beaners love them some gypsum board.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013