Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSA to the bowfishing crowd who has ventured to the salt water

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I have to admit, I'm becoming the quintessential grumpy old man. I grew up in a less crowded world where people were considerate of other people and I miss it.

Preach......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Folks not being considerate is exactly how new laws are justified by the other folks that do want to control peoples' lives and morals.
    Running a generator to have lights to shoot fish is not inconsiderate. It's public water, it's a legal means of fishing, so they have every right to be there.

Your butt hurtness for having to listen to a generator is nothing more than bitching and whining. Get over yourself, or make a push to get them outlawed, but wait and see who supports you when the anti-hunters or extreme yuppies decide it should be legal to gig fish at all.

You're making my point for me. It's the inconsiderate idiots that don't care about others that give the law makers the ammunition they need to make stuff illegal. Take Pawley's Island for example. It's now illegal to use a generator in the waters near there precisely because some inconsiderate numbskull used a loud generator and probably unshielded lights that annoyed some homeowners/well-connected voters. Quiet generators exist and if you plan to use a generator at night in a place that is normally quiet but within earshot of folks who moved there exactly because it was quiet, you should do all possible to make sure your generator is quiet and your light are shielded to keep from needlessly annoying others. To boldly and bullheadedly go ahead and make as much noise as possible and shine lights where they are unwelcome because it's your right only invites mandated restrictions.

For instance, I won't be surprised to see some pushback on the lighting in the future. Some of the boats with overkill lighting are going to attract the attention of legitimate commercial navigation interests, like perhaps harbor pilots and shipping concerns. A considerate person would have considered this and would shield his lights to avoid such a confrontation.

Frankly, I think there's a good chance the generator issue will resolve itself when people realize that there are LED lights that are more than adequate for the job yet run all night on a car battery. Those same folks that no longer have to listen to their own generator will become the loudest proponents of doing away with noisy generators.

can you explain this shielded light thing?

and i agree. nobody should run the harbor with bowfishing lights on. its not only unsafe, but illegal.

i do however use mine while running the lake, unless im in a highly congested area like the diversion canal. then ill turn them off to avoid navigational problems.

So let me get this straight, I am the asshole because I am pissed about a man running around blinding everyone, deafening himself and anyone within several hundred yards of him, muddying up the water I have been in for 30 minutes by myself, when he decides to pull up (at half-plane mind you) to with in 50 yds of me and gig. There was tons of unoccupied places that are decent and he chose right in front of me. I picked up and moved because I did not want to be around him but the real issue here is he is inconsiderate and sets a poor example for bowfisherman. My purpose here is to solicit to the good bowfisherman to coach and get on their less considerate fellow bowfisherman so as to better the image of their sport. It is the assholes that will ruin it for everybody. Same as dog driving, duck hunting, etc. etc. etc.

DDS I know there are good guys out there shooting fish and given my love for gigging I might would enjoy it (minus the loud ass generator, which I tried for gigging twice and decided it was unnecessary). Please educate those that are uneducated. It will come way better received from you than from someone outside that circle.

BTW if it is illegal to operate those lights underway in the harbor it is more than likely illegal to operate them underway in the lake or any inland river for that matter. I would have to consult my Rules of the Road book.
    cut\'em

Running with lights on, muddying up "your" water, etc was him being a douchebag.

You saying he should stay away because of a generator makes you a doucebag.

It's pubic water, using a generator for lights is legal, so he has every right to be there.

When I was bowfishing, I tried to avoid houses or areas with people, but if I knew the fish were there, I shot where I could kill fish

I'm sure the rednecks on lake santee get mad when you buzz by the dock with a generator running at 2am. If you want peace and quiet, don't buy a house on a public body of water. Complaining about generator noise on a lake is equal to complaining about a golf ball in your yard if you live on a golf course.

& I would not change my ways for bowfishing near homes with "political influence". I'm going to treat the 3 million dollar home on the coastal marsh just like I treat the 30,000 trailer on lake greenwood. I try to stay away when possible, but I will not stay away if the fishing is good.
    Last edited by Murray; 07-21-2014 at 11:43 AM.

"F" gigging arounds charleston. Way to much pressure as of late. Gigging is what all the "cool" kids are doing these days...

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    So let me get this straight, I am the asshole because I am pissed about a man running around blinding everyone, deafening himself and anyone within several hundred yards of him, muddying up the water I have been in for 30 minutes by myself, when he decides to pull up (at half-plane mind you) to with in 50 yds of me and gig. There was tons of unoccupied places that are decent and he chose right in front of me. I picked up and moved because I did not want to be around him but the real issue here is he is inconsiderate and sets a poor example for bowfisherman. My purpose here is to solicit to the good bowfisherman to coach and get on their less considerate fellow bowfisherman so as to better the image of their sport. It is the assholes that will ruin it for everybody. Same as dog driving, duck hunting, etc. etc. etc.

DDS I know there are good guys out there shooting fish and given my love for gigging I might would enjoy it (minus the loud ass generator, which I tried for gigging twice and decided it was unnecessary). Please educate those that are uneducated. It will come way better received from you than from someone outside that circle.

BTW if it is illegal to operate those lights underway in the harbor it is more than likely illegal to operate them underway in the lake or any inland river for that matter. I would have to consult my Rules of the Road book.
    Wrong...you are an asshole because you singled out a prick and lumped him with bowfishers...Maybe you were on his bank, he may of just left it and you jumped his claim...I have no idea, but everyone has a right to the water and you don't own shit. Your point of view is no different than that of people that dont want you to fish their bank on the river or hunt their spot in the national forest. If the genny noise is too loud for you maybe you should don plugs. I would personally never roll up on someone closely if I could avoid it but if you are fishing a navigable creek, river, whatever I can ride by you...I dont have to stop and idle for every shit biscuit with a clip on light on the front of their boat. If I were you and all acts transpired as you said I would have gotten his numbers and called on him for operating wrecklessly.FFS, Im done
    You can grow up to be just like me....

"Genny noise"?

Hot damn, who knew the bowfishin crowd had sic rad lingo too?

PS - I love these threads, carry on.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I've been on both sides of this. Craftsmen generator with HPS that lit up more yards than what's under the water. Ran the lake with them cause I hate waiting for them to warm back up. Use a honda 2000 and halogens angled down to the water now. I know the first setup is noisy and irritating to people at night but sometimes you have to make do with what you have at the time and enjoy shooting fish.

The difference is the things you mentioned, cars, planes, etc, aren't unnecessarily loud. Let's just hope Harley Davidson doesn't decide to get into the outboard motor business.

I have to admit, I'm becoming the quintessential grumpy old man. I grew up in a less crowded world where people were considerate of other people and I miss it.

Yep, me too.

I had to sit through someone playing ghetto music in big speakers during lunch. I ate too fast to get and now I have heartburn.

I get enough bumped elbows in daily living. I go out there to not bump elbows, listen to shitty music thumping on big speakers, and listen to a lawnmower.

In going to speak to homeboy in the bowboat, if SD is anything like me, if I go and talk and get some lip back, odds are pretty good we may come to blows, and I am too damned old for that shit anymore.

Go gig, or bowfish where you want. I got no truck with it. You are, however, loud and obnoxious by definition...unless you spent some cash and bought the honda gennie.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Yep, me too.

unless you spent some cash and bought the honda gennie.
    I did

I wonder how we got by with two coleman laterns strapped to the side of a 14 ft jon boat. I go for the peace and the quiet and hopefully the opportunity to stick a few fish. It is not a race nor a contest.

I switched to LED lights this year. I have $72 invested in the rig and can see as far as I can stick a fish with a 10ft gig. And best of all the only noise is the water lapping against the hull and the light conversation.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    I did
    Thanks from those around you. I sincerely appreciate your gesture of courtesy to those around you. If you are going to do it, do it right.
    cut\'em

I wonder how we got by with two coleman laterns strapped to the side of a 14 ft jon boat. I go for the peace and the quiet and hopefully the opportunity to stick a few fish. It is not a race nor a contest.

I switched to LED lights this year. I have $72 invested in the rig and can see as far as I can stick a fish with a 10ft gig. And best of all the only noise is the water lapping against the hull and the light conversation.
    Good point sir.....same could be said about repeating arms and compound bows with drop away rest and the likes. How DID the indians ever survive???

Good point sir.....same could be said about repeating arms and compound bows with drop away rest and the likes. How DID the indians ever survive???
    Touche .... they lost out to repeating arms and bad blankets.
    cut\'em

I did
    Well shit, take me bowfishing!

I've always wanted to go, but didnt want to have to wear ear muffs.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Well shit, take me bowfishing!

I've always wanted to go, but didnt want to have to wear ear muffs.
    come on sir...will be ready in a few weeks....

Touche .... they lost out to repeating arms and bad blankets.
    And whiskey...
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold