Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA to the bowfishing crowd who has ventured to the salt water

Default PSA to the bowfishing crowd who has ventured to the salt water

I got to experience this crowd last night for the first time and maybe I just was unlucky and was around the wrong one but boy do I have a bad taste in my mouth.
    To start I am gigging a bank at an intersection of a creek minding my own business when I notice a rumble behind me off a ways so I turned around and see a glow similar to the landing lights on jet coming at me. Now that I am blinded by the excessive light being used to run a wide open creek, I think to myself surely he sees me and will A) kill the lights and B) steer somewhat clear. Dang was I mistaken he continued towards me at a half plane with his unmuffled generator a roaring and the lights a blaring. He gets right to the intersection where I am and hangs a right throwing all his wake on me and stopping 50 yds down from me. Now my water is muddy as shit and my peace and quiet is gone. I am getting hot but my wife tells me to chill out so I drop the motor and go find my buddy back up the creek half a mile and share a beer. After that I decide to check out a piece of bank in the river. Water is real clear and making a nice quiet drift down the bank for about 15 minutes when the same douche bag comes around the corner of the creek a few hundred yards up and proceeds to blind me again and wake the ever living shit out of me. In a river that is 200yards wide he passed within 30 yards of me at a half plane again. At this point i am tired of it, my wife is cranky and I head towards the landing. We got back to the landing and looked in the direction of the bowfishing boat and could see a large glow from them over two miles away.

I hope not all bow fisherman are as lacking in common sense and courtesy as that crowd was but they sure set a poor example.

Please guys kill the generator and lights when running, it absolutely kills everyone else. We have been running boats in these creeks forever without so much as a flashlight, if you need that much light to get around stay home. Secondly if you see someone working a bank steer way clear of them or pull it back and idle by, nobody likes murky water. And third if you are going to run those loud ass generators go gig somewhere you are all alone, don't pull in an area someone else already is and make them listen to that loud thing.

That is my rant and I hope some bow fisherman prove me wrong.
    Last edited by Southernduck; 07-20-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    cut\'em

Was it in Charleston and a rather large boat? 20ft or so?

You are lucky your wife was there to hold you back... a grown ass man may have whooped your whinney ass. Why do you come on here and bitch? like anyone gives a shit?

You should call your state legislator and see if you can get fishing changed to mornings only???
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Fireman it was a large Jon boat and yes it was in charleston.

Camo snob I probably would have gotten my ass whooped but it still doesn't excuse piss poor behavior and common courtesy on anyone's part. My post is educational to those down here. You stay your ass in Greenville.
    cut\'em

your post was a crock of shit and makes you look like more a fag.... do you think if the guy read it he would care about what you think? He obviously didn't care about you in the creek why does he care now?... he doesn't, you just posted a paragraph of condescending shit to the good bow fishermen of scducks.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Might as well be a boat ramp post

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Get your shit right Southerduck....it wasn't the fact it was a bowfisherman, it was just another boater with a lack of courtesy...don't go grouping people together and don't be so damn jealous you aint got as good of lights.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

and if he bothered you so damn much you should of went and talked to him and not us...maybe you both could have learned something

yea... i bet his wife was cranky from listening to him bitch all the time.

Sounds like this guy was an asshole and just happened to be a bow fisherman. I'm sure he's the only one because no real bowfisherman would be so fucking clueless and rude as to run a loud generator and stadium lighting in a serene, quiet place and run closely by other boaters. Ironically, I think I have seen this same buttnugget but in a different boat. Had to be the same guy though because there couldn't be more than one bowfishing asshole. There's also a gigging asshole in the same area that displays the same behavior. Way too much lighting, loud generator, and no courtesy with his wake or respect for maintaining a little distance from other giggers.

what are yall talking about "too much light"?

ass holes come in all shapes and sizes. sorry it was a bowfishing boat this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Sounds like this guy was an asshole and just happened to be a bow fisherman. I'm sure he's the only one because no real bowfisherman would be so fucking clueless and rude as to run a loud generator and stadium lighting in a serene, quiet place and run closely by other boaters. Ironically, I think I have seen this same buttnugget but in a different boat. Had to be the same guy though because there couldn't be more than one bowfishing asshole. There's also a gigging asshole in the same area that displays the same behavior. Way too much lighting, loud generator, and no courtesy with his wake or respect for maintaining a little distance from other giggers.
    He gator hunts too, I ran across him....

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    I got to experience this crowd last night for the first time and maybe I just was unlucky and was around the wrong one but boy do I have a bad taste in my mouth.
    To start I am gigging a bank at an intersection of a creek minding my own business when I notice a rumble behind me off a ways so I turned around and see a glow similar to the landing lights on jet coming at me. Now that I am blinded by the excessive light being used to run a wide open creek, I think to myself surely he sees me and will A) kill the lights and B) steer somewhat clear. Dang was I mistaken he continued towards me at a half plane with his unmuffled generator a roaring and the lights a blaring. He gets right to the intersection where I am and hangs a right throwing all his wake on me and stopping 50 yds down from me. Now my water is muddy as shit and my peace and quiet is gone. I am getting hot but my wife tells me to chill out so I drop the motor and go find my buddy back up the creek half a mile and share a beer. After that I decide to check out a piece of bank in the river. Water is real clear and making a nice quiet drift down the bank for about 15 minutes when the same douche bag comes around the corner of the creek a few hundred yards up and proceeds to blind me again and wake the ever living shit out of me. In a river that is 200yards wide he passed within 30 yards of me at a half plane again. At this point i am tired of it, my wife is cranky and I head towards the landing. We got back to the landing and looked in the direction of the bowfishing boat and could see a large glow from them over two miles away.

I hope not all bow fisherman are as lacking in common sense and courtesy as that crowd was but they sure set a poor example.

Please guys kill the generator and lights when running, it absolutely kills everyone else. We have been running boats in these creeks forever without so much as a flashlight, if you need that much light to get around stay home. Secondly if you see someone working a bank steer way clear of them or pull it back and idle by, nobody likes murky water. And third if you are going to run those loud ass generators go gig somewhere you are all alone, don't pull in an area someone else already is and make them listen to that loud thing.

That is my rant and I hope some bow fisherman prove me wrong.
    Assholes can be found in any group of people. You should'nt paint with that wide brush.

The only problem I have with your rant is the bold piece above. They have every much of a right to be there as you. I go where I think the fish will be, I'm not worried if the generator noise bugs some yuppie while gigging.

If he has HPS lights, he prob didn't want to cut them off and wait for them to warm up again so he just rode with em on

How do you guys that think loud generators in the marsh at night should be of no concern to anyone else feel about airboats during duck season or super loud subwoofers in hooptie cars?

How do you guys that think loud generators in the marsh at night should be of no concern to anyone else feel about airboats during duck season or super loud subwoofers in hooptie cars?
    I feel about the same as the city/state/govt think about putting roads in, flying planes over, and putting buildings close to....dont give a shit.....generators aren't that big a deal in comparison

The difference is the things you mentioned, cars, planes, etc, aren't unnecessarily loud. Let's just hope Harley Davidson doesn't decide to get into the outboard motor business.

I have to admit, I'm becoming the quintessential grumpy old man. I grew up in a less crowded world where people were considerate of other people and I miss it.

I beleive you have a right to do what you want in public areas as long as your not breaking any laws, but I don't have a desire to control others life or morals.

I have to admit, I'm becoming the quintessential grumpy old man. I grew up in a less crowded world where people were considerate of other people and I miss it.
    I feel your pain sir....I remember being the only truck at the Cypruss Gardens boat ramp on a Friday afternoon. I hate people

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    I beleive you have a right to do what you want in public areas as long as your not breaking any laws, but I don't have a desire to control others life or morals.
    Folks not being considerate is exactly how new laws are justified by the other folks that do want to control peoples' lives and morals.