Thread: Walther Farms to draw from Edisto River

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

[QUOTE=SCFoxman;1580162]I'd be more concerned with the amount of fertilizer mixed with that water coming back to the river.

This is another thing we are very concerned about. Our club is literally only several bends down from this site and we do a lot of fishing around our club. What is going to happen when these chemicals make their way into the river and right on down they go. I come from a farming family and could care less how big the farm is or what they grow are anything else about the farm. Like I've stated before, our biggest concerns are what it will do to the water level in the river and how they going to prevent these chemicals from getting into the river. From what I've been told by someone doing a lot of research on this operation, some of the chemicals they use are pretty dangerous. JMO

Here's another article to read:
    http://www.michigansthumb.com/articl...e839635387.txt
    Last edited by SCHUNTINFANATIC; 12-13-2013 at 10:32 AM.

[quote=SCHUNTINFANATIC;1580187]
    Quote Originally Posted by SCFoxman View Post
    I'd be more concerned with the amount of fertilizer mixed with that water coming back to the river.

This is another thing we are very concerned about. Our club is literally only several bends down from this site and we do a lot of fishing around our club. What is going to happen when these chemicals make their way into the river and right on down they go. I come from a farming family and could care less how big the farm is or what they grow are anything else about the farm. Like I've stated before, our biggest concerns are what it will do to the water level in the river and how they going to prevent these chemicals from getting into the river. From what I've been told by someone doing a lot of research on this operation, some of the chemicals they use are pretty dangerous. JMO

I find it amazing that you come from a farm and have an attitude like this, hard to believe really. How are the "chemicals" any different than any other corn, soybean, cotton, sod farm in the area. But yet there seems to be no concern about these other entities. I really boggles the mind the attitude that sportsmen and outdoorsmen have about a new farming operation. Would you prefer it was a housing development?
    "It's a numbers game" - Mac Owen
    Endangered: Farmers, Watermen, and Rural Life

[quote=sc high tide;1580198]
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post

I find it amazing that you come from a farm and have an attitude like this, hard to believe really. How are the "chemicals" any different than any other corn, soybean, cotton, sod farm in the area. But yet there seems to be no concern about these other entities. I really boggles the mind the attitude that sportsmen and outdoorsmen have about a new farming operation. Would you prefer it was a housing development?

I'm sure if this was right in your backyard in VA you would be more concerned. I have 3 uncles and 2 cousins that have poultry farms and also farm row crops as well. My grandfather was proabably one of the biggest farmers in our area when he was alive. I promise you I am all for the farmer but when I see how low this river can be in the dry season I can only imagine what it will be like if they pump as much water as they say they are. I frequent the Edisto atleast once a week and would hate to see what this could possibly do to it and the habitat surrounding it. I just don't like the idea that they will be allowed to draw this amount out of the river without the public being informed beforehand to voice concerns and ask questions. Hell they are even having public hearings for the new cell phone towers being erected in our area. You would think that would have been part of the permit process.

[quote=SCHUNTINFANATIC;1580229]
    Quote Originally Posted by sc high tide View Post

I'm sure if this was right in your backyard in VA you would be more concerned. I have 3 uncles and 2 cousins that have poultry farms and also farm row crops as well. My grandfather was proabably one of the biggest farmers in our area when he was alive. I promise you I am all for the farmer but when I see how low this river can be in the dry season I can only imagine what it will be like if they pump as much water as they say they are. I frequent the Edisto atleast once a week and would hate to see what this could possibly do to it and the habitat surrounding it. I just don't like the idea that they will be allowed to draw this amount out of the river without the public being informed beforehand to voice concerns and ask questions. Hell they are even having public hearings for the new cell phone towers being erected in our area. You would think that would have been part of the permit process.
    So you noticed where SC High tide is located, now go do a little research on farming on the Eastern Shore and regulations concerning fertilizer runoff, it is quite possibly the most regulated place to farm in the country. Over the years I have gathered that he is directly involved with agriculture so I would wager to say he is very knowledgable on these matters.

They have a permit to pull 9.6 billion gallons but that does not mean they will. Those figures equate to 95.5" of water across the farm, give me a break, taters like some water but not that kind of water. Also remember they are not pulling from a lake but a moving river so I feel certain that you will not see an aprreciable water level difference. They are using center pivot irrigation which today's new pivots are very efficient (+/- 90%) in terms of water use. I am curious to see the rotation on this farm.
    cut\'em