Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooker Build Started, Gas or Charcoal?

Default Cooker Build Started, Gas or Charcoal?

I sold the last pig cooker I built to a member on here and just started this one. I think charcoal taste better but love the convenience of lp gas. Think I will set this one up for both as it will be for me. Ready to start customizing the jet ski trailer and then sandblasting, painting and seasoning. Thermometer, air dampners and smoke stacks this weekend.

Very cool.....I'm a charcoal man myself. Cooking with gas is like jerking off and telling everyone you got laid.

What's it usually cost you to do a project like this?

Very cool project. I'd be turning that rascal into an offset stick burner, but I'm not much on gas even though it is convenient.

Let me give you a small piece of advice about keeping that expanded metal from buckling and sagging.

Don't weld the expanded metal to the frame until you're done. Fire that grill up as if you were seasoning it... let her heat up good (500degF+)... THEN weld her up. I recommend placing the frame on top of the expanded metal like you show in the picture above and welding in the center of the expanded metal, but don't weld the outer edges just yet.

Pro tip.

Fo free.

Have fun with it!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Shit.

I just realized you already welded it.

Next time, try it.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

And I agree with sccdp...why not put a firebox on the side so you can burn some smoke sticks?

Go gas and put a smoker box on the front.

I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

I have been welding now for around 17 years. A cooker trailer has been on my "to do list" for 16 years. Maybe one day. Where did you find the drum?

PM to you, SD.

Quote Originally Posted by NUTZ View Post
    Go gas and put a smoker box on the front.

To me, it's the best of both worlds. I am a fan of this method.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    To me, it's the best of both worlds. I am a fan of this method.
    You boys Al quida or something?

It's easy and takes a lot of guess work out of it.

We have been building them for years.
    Last edited by NUTZ; 07-19-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I have been welding now for around 17 years. A cooker trailer has been on my "to do list" for 16 years. Maybe one day. Where did you find the drum?
    Got it off craigslist. Offered the guy 1/2 of what he was asking and he said "come get it". I have built about 5 or 6 of these and each time, you learn something that you like or wish you would have done and that is why i keep doing them. I think I will add a small "fire box" behind it for smoking with wood. I also have always had the ones cut in 1/2 where the whole lid hinges up and these with the lid cut at an angle and the grate on rollers or slides out are much easier to turn hog, etc.
    I enjoy it and have been teaching myself to weld and just go out into the garage late at night and piddle with it. Garnet and Black powder coating may be in this ones future also
    I need about 4 ft of 4/4 square steel tubing (under a 1/4in). You dont have any scraps laying around do you Patrick?
    Rick
    Last edited by ecu1984; 07-19-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NUTZ View Post
    It's easy and takes a lot of guess work out of it.

We have been building them for years.
    Regulation is selling point for me.

Especially when you are competing. When it comes to a cooker like this, I'll use gas with a smoke box any day.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Nice work Rick. Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Got it off craigslist. Offered the guy 1/2 of what he was asking and he said "come get it". I have built about 5 or 6 of these and each time, you learn something that you like or wish you would have done and that is why i keep doing them. I think I will add a small "fire box" behind it for smoking with wood. I also have always had the ones cut in 1/2 where the whole lid hinges up and these with the lid cut at an angle and the grate on rollers or slides out are much easier to turn hog, etc.
    I enjoy it and have been teaching myself to weld and just go out into the garage late at night and piddle with it. Garnet and Black powder coating may be in this ones future also
    I need about 4 ft of 4/4 square steel tubing (under a 1/4in). You dont have any scraps laying around do you Patrick?
    Rick
    PM me exactly what you are needing. I'm sure I can put my hands on it. If you have 220 out there in the garage, I also have a bigger mig that you might want to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    Regulation is selling point for me.

Especially when you are competing. When it comes to a cooker like this, I'll use gas with a smoke box any day.
    Interesting stuff...so you are getting all the flavor you need from the smoke box, But a constant temp bc of the gas I guess? I have grown spoiled from using my BGE. It regulates temp so well, that when I had to cook on a large industrial smoker a few months ago I felt like it was a never ending job trying to keep the temp steady.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Interesting stuff...so you are getting all the flavor you need from the smoke box, But a constant temp bc of the gas I guess? I have grown spoiled from using my BGE. It regulates temp so well, that when I had to cook on a large industrial smoker a few months ago I felt like it was a never ending job trying to keep the temp steady.
    Temp regulation has never been a problem with any I have built. You learn real fast that by opening and closing the air dampners and flame..you can get it right where you want it and keep it there. Mine will stay as low as 175 degrees and as high as 550 degrees if I want. I make my own pipe burner and put 4 adjustable dampners on it (2 on each side). I will post pics when i start building these pieces in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Temp regulation has never been a problem with any I have built. You learn real fast that by opening and closing the air dampners and flame..you can get it right where you want it and keep it there. Mine will stay as low as 175 degrees and as high as 550 degrees if I want. I make my own pipe burner and put 4 adjustable dampners on it (2 on each side). I will post pics when i start building these pieces in the next few days.
    Exactly. Airflow and the ability to regulate oxygen has proven to be the key to success with my cooker. I have two gas burners with 3/16" plate steel over them for when it's time to go get some sleep. I also have an offset firebox on the back (mine opens from the side of the trailer) that is 1/2" thick all the way around with raised grates on top for heating beans, sauce, etc. on top of it. I posted pics of mine on here years ago. Gas and wood/charcoal capability makes things so much easier and whether you use them both or go straight wood smoke, it's a more versatile design. Be sure and put a good baffle in your stovepipe, and move the stovepipe as far away as feasible from a firebox, if you add one. Invest in a good thermometer.

Updates: Pipe burner built. Grease shields and gas /air mixer all built from scratch.
    Trailer work done.