Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When did TIPS become REQUIREMENTS?

What about for a friggin hair cut? My wife get's pissed at me for not leaving a tip for the woman that cut's my hair. I say, if she wanted more than $15 bucks, she should change her damn price. Besides, all she's cutting on mine is the sides, takes less than 10 minutes, there ain't nothin' up the middle. Way I figure it, she's makin' around $60 an hour, (if she cuts 4 bald guys head an hour) a hell of alot more than I am.

Exactly.

Tips are a way to squeeze more money from you.

I was in NYC recently and caught a cab from SoHo to east village.....literally right down the street, but it was 25 degrees and the girl was cold.

7.00 fare, and I gave him a 20. She wanted me to leave him 6 bucks.

I did, but bitched about it for a half hour.

It's like, "here's the money it costs to do the job, and here's a little more for doing it."

What?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

You can tell a lot about person when it comes time to leave the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorFaircloth View Post
    Never thought about leaving the reason on the receipt, I may have to pick up that habit
    No you don't tip cause your a cheap ass
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

I agree with Bog, unfortunately. If you want $22 for that $20 meal, change the price to $22. I do tip now, depending on the level of service, anywhere from $1 to 20%, but the whole idea is stupid. Nothing pisses me off worse than a restaurant that automatically adds (x% gratuity) to a bill. I refuse to visit those places.

In addition, if you don't like doing a job that pays $2.13/hr, find another job. Or.......offer exceptional service and earn your tip, but don't expect it.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I only tip 20% if the waitress is HOT and lets me flirt with her!

If service is poor to bad I will leave $1 cause I think that makes a statement. If I leave nothing they may think I just forgot. If I carried change around I'd leave 50¢ for poor service.

That said, if I see the waitress is swamped or other tables are giving her grief I don't consider her looking over a few things as being poor service. I know for a fact I couldn't put up with that crap myself.

So if she is busting her butt and forgets my tea refill I don't think of it as poor service.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Are you supposed to tip on Take Out? I've never been clear on that, you don't have a sever.

I will never pay gratuity on take out food.

I am a 20% tipper for two reasons. 1. I think it is the right thing to do (assuming service is at least acceptable) 2. It is easier to calculate than 15%

What do y'all tip the girl at Sonic? Does it depend on whether she walks or roller skates?

I see Captain Tom lurking down there, so I'll chime in on these type of services.

I've never paid for a hunting/fishing guide.
    But if I were to, I wouldn't have a problem tipping them well if we slayed the fish and I had a ball. That's a little something extra to say, "man I had real good time."

That being said, I feel that if I went on a guided trip and we didn't catch any fish, I am not obligated to pay. We had a deal. The guide's end of the deal was to produce fish, My end was to pay for the service. If the guide didn't uphold his end of the bargain, my obligation is null and void.

It is different for service industry. They rely solely on tips as a means of income, a guide doesn't.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I think the guide can make it a good time even if you don't find any fish. It's not all in the catching sometimes. That said I think the tip should be less than if you are slaughtering them.

And especially in the case of a hunting guide. If he puts you on animals but not as trophy class as you may want I think he needs a tip.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

At a recent black tie event at a local hotel I let the valet park the car. When leaving, I realized the only cash I had was a $20. Usually I give a few dollars to a valet. However, due to my piss poor planning, I made that fucker's night. I felt really good about it afterwards.

To the cat above saying one is not civilized unless they tip bare minimum 10%, fuck that.

If you suck at your job, me giving you something to perpetuate that is insane. The ONLY way for a server to get the message is to lose a few tips. How 'bout instead of blaming the folks responding to your shitty service, you look in the mirror and ask yourself what you are doing wrong. It's not the fault of the person pissed off about paying for a shitty experience you provided for him, its your fault for sucking at your job. The only OBAMA democrat in this equation is the person suggesting that you should tip even for shitty service. While we are at it should I also stop and pick up their free Obama cell phone on the way into the restaurant as well?

"Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Default When did TIPS become REQUIREMENTS?

Tip is based on how long my cup stay empty. If food is bad, that's not the servers fault. It's the kitchen. The wait is not their fault either. But keeping my cup full is their only responsibility.
    If god is your copilot, switch seats.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Left over oysters???? Never heard of such a thing.

2500HD
    1436 Wareagle 25 Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I think the guide can make it a good time even if you don't find any fish. It's not all in the catching sometimes. That said I think the tip should be less than if you are slaughtering them.

And especially in the case of a hunting guide. If he puts you on animals but not as trophy class as you may want I think he needs a tip.
    I'm sure they can. But....

I'm not paying some dude I don't really know, 250-400$ to hang out with me and joke around for 5 hours.
    I'm paying him for his ability to provide whatever type of game I am seeking.

It's the same for trophy class.

If I pay you to put a monster buck in front of me, you agree, then the day of the hunt, we only see 4 points, your end of the deal was not upheld, therefore I am not required to uphold mine.

If I want to buy a car and you say you have the perfect 2013 toyota camry, but when I show up you offer a 1992 taurus, I'm not buying that car because you had some funny jokes, and I liked you on a personal level.

I bet some of you tip the UPS guy...

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    I will never pay gratuity on take out food.
    Well, now I don't feel so bad.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Bog.....so you are saying. If you pay to go duck hunting, you better shoot ducks? This, my friend, is part of the reason the whole release bird thing got started.

Don't want to highjack thread or get it started in another direction, just making a point.

Still looking for what yall tip at Sonic.....

I earned most of my money in my college days off of tips. You had to take the good with the bad waiting tables, but bar tending was a whole different game. You slap the bar,whistle, or scream at me you got looked at like an idiot as I serve the man behind you. It usually only happens once, but every once in awhile you find the guy that will go thirsty.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by 295PRO View Post
    Tip is based on how long my cup stay empty. If food is bad, that's not the servers fault. It's the kitchen. The wait is not their fault either. But keeping my cup full is their only responsibility.
    Same for me. If my drink is empty it reflects in the tip.