Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish memberships

Originally posted by Carla Dee:
    Fishgirl - interesting thoughts on not catching stocked fish... not so sure its the stocking that bothers you, but the ponds. I hear ya... its different.

But I bet you don't feel like catching stripers at Murray is Bill Dance bootlegging?
    We do not fish much at Murray. We do most of our striper fishing on Wateree River. Honestly, it is not the ponds that bother me. If I had a pond, I would probably put fish in it and throw a line out to practice different baits and techniques (sp) but, I think it would become boring if that is all you fished. No serious challange in a hungry fish in a stocked pond. Remember the post on tame ducks? Tame fish, not much fun. LOL Wonder if they are as healthy too? You take a bunch of fish, put them in a pond, same water in the pond most of the time. Seems to me that would bring about fish that might carry more disease. Same fish fighting for the same food. Stress is a major factor.
    Whatever women must do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult.<br /><br />-Charlotte Whitton-

In my experience, a healthy pond has healthy fish. I can think of several off the top of my head that I would sooner eat a mess of fried bream out of before I would out of some of the rivers and lakes in this state.

Originally posted by Low Country Sandlapper:
    In my experience, a healthy pond has healthy fish. I can think of several off the top of my head that I would sooner eat a mess of fried bream out of before I would out of some of the rivers and lakes in this state.
    But, I am not talking about breem. We are talking about 5lb plus bass right? How many 5lb bass do you think a 10 acre pond can hold and still be a healthy pond? Just curious.
    Whatever women must do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult.<br /><br />-Charlotte Whitton-

You were talking about disease, thus my reply was related to fish health. As to the carrying capacity of a 10 ac. pond, you'd have to ask a fisheries biologist.....I have no clue. I will tell you that I prefer fishing in ponds because I don't like company. I go fishing to get away from other people as much as to catch fish. Try that on a Sunday afternoon in May on Moultrie or Marion.

Originally posted by Low Country Sandlapper:
    I go fishing to get away from other people as much as to catch fish.
    Can I get an "Amen"?

Originally posted by Fatfish:
    I'm thankful that Uncle RJ passed his hand crank telephone on to me before he passed on
    [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] ...Been there done that...

Ok, let me be more specific. A 10 acre pond is not that big. Why would anybody pay $500 a year to fish in a 10 acre pond? No offense honestly, but, that is just too small to support a fishing club. JMO. It might be good to take kids to to teach them to love the sport, but, as a person who spends 90% of the year fishing, I am trying to be realistic with you all.

I spend 90% of the year fishing, mostly river and lake fishing, but a good ole bream/bass pond is ALWAYS a break from the hustle and bustle of the public waters...
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

Fishgal, that is a small price to pay for someone who wants to be able to catch quality fish with children (grandchildren in my case) in peace and quiet. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than building and managing your own pond. I've got one good sized pond and 2 small ones and it is not cheap to keep them in top notch shape. I do it because I enjoy solitude and I do not like to be bothered by jet skis and the B.A.S.S. tour armada that has invaded our lake system.

There is something about throwing a devils horse next to a stump and knowing it's not the 13th time a bait has landed there since sun up. Is it as sporting as public fishing? I don't see how you can argue otherwise. You are either on the fish in a ten ac pond or a 25,000 ac lake or you are not. It's not like shooting a tame duck or quail. You cannot catch what doesn't bite and stocking fish doesn't guarantee you they will bite. Don't forget, many of those fish in the lake were stocked, too.

It's a "to each his own" type thing but you can have your public fishing and I will keep my own pond. I'll have plenty of fun doing it my way and there are never any fights at the landing when it is on private property.

Anybody figured out how to keep Rockfish alive in a pond???? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

To keep either hybirds or hybirds you have to aerate and usually add cool water to shallow ponds to get DO levels high enough. I think there are regs about ponds on the Santee Watershed not having them.

Hybrids will keep in larger ponds with water depths about 15 feet. Stocking rates are LOW for both of them, so be careful.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

Thanks DR... I was being a bit of a smartass.., but I figured it could be done...

Mars, A share in our pond will run you about ten grand. We have work days a couple of times a year that most members attend to clean up around the pond and roads. All expenses are split evenly among members. That usually runs around three hundred dollars a year.

Our pond includes land that a member owns a part of also. It is managed pine timber with a little hardwood. When trees have been harvested, members received money that was left after removing some for a new dock or boat house.

There is also a screened cook shed for use on the property.

As far as the fishing goes, we generally catch about 1 8-10 pound bass per year on average. Any number of 3-7 pounders are caught each year. Some people keep fish some don't. It is the best bream pond I have ever fished anywhere. 50 or more bream is very probable April through June with 150 or more having been caught MANY times. We have a good shellcracker population as well.

It was last drained and stocked in 1981.

Shares of stock are passed from one generation to the next. When we have had a share available for sale, we have a huge list to pick from of people who want in.

The majority of our members are 60 or older. One lives as far away as Charleston, with several in Columbia as well.

Over the whole year, the pond gets very little pressure.

How many acres is your pond? How deep? ETC. I am curious, thanks!

The pond is 23 acres. It ranges from 3feet to 22 ft deep along the dam. The pond has minimum structure in the pond other than points, humps or creek channels. There is a lot of structure around the edges of the pond. It is spring fed.

There is also a two acre blackwater pond on the property that has good fishing and an occasional woodie shoot.

Now, that is something to offer. Your pond is big enough to support a small club. Sounds like a good time for those who want to take kids and just plain old have fun.

CBD-- I have a similar sized pond (18acres)...that I'm trying to work with...do you have any reccomendations for harvest #'s?

After 5 years of fishing and keeping every fish under 2lbs that I caught, I finally caught (and released) the first fish over 8lbs from it this past summer.

It's an old peach pond, and stunted w/ too many little fish.

Fatfish, my reccommendation is to consult a fisheries biologist. In our experience, going the county agent route will bring you a bunch of outdated ideas on pond management.

Ray Scott (of BASS fame) has produced a series on pond building and rebuilding. I think there might be some good info on those tapes.

I also think it probably has a lot to do with the individual pond and that is something you will probably have to figure in yourself. Our pond produces more bream than any other I have seen. I don't know why.

LV2fsh, we often have pond member parties out there with all of the families. We will also go out and camp for the weekend and fish. It has been a good place to have all of my life. My grandfather started it and when he died he left his share to my dad. He doesn't fish so he pays the dues and I tell him when I wear them out.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I would suggest calling in a HEAVY HEAVY hitter that is adept at catching bass by the 100's ...
    Only one name I can think of right now....

roland...na....Kevinvan..na...

1-800-ARTDEVILISH...that's it...I heard he actually sticks his finger in the water and transmits signals to the bass...I think BASS was thinking of banning him from competition because he is SOOOO darn good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?