View Poll Results: Allow hunting of doves over top sewn wheat planted between Oct 1- Nov 31

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am in favor

236 92.19%
  • Not in favor

20 7.81%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top sown wheat

With the deer population in our area, it's nearly impossible to grow a crop of sunflowers - even with exclusion fences. So I'm changing my mind and siding with trying top sowing wheat again. Bring on the new law, along with flint-faced enforcement of the bag limit. 15, or even 12, doves is plenty for one day afield.

What was legal in the old days? Something like 80 to 100 pounds per acre, top sown?
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

Clemson's recommended planting dates are Oct 1 till Dec 1.

It would not be normal ag to plant after Dec 1 so it cannot be stretched to the third season.

It really only helps the second season. Generally the first season ends around the 5th of Oct. That is not enough time to plant on Oct 1 and attract doves by the 5th.

If they were already coming to the field this would help hold them.

The dates have been set for many years and were not set according to any dove baiting considerations. The dates have not been manipulated.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Get it passed, and I will buy you a twelve pack of your favorite beer.

Stella, This one is in the bag, then the cooler.

Makes sense. While you are introducing bills, howz about make the hog transport penalty something other than a slap on the wrist?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I voted no. I didn't vote for obamer. I plant my own dove field. I have an 8 strand electric fence to keep the deer out. I put a LOT of time, effort, and money in it. Legal topsewn wheat means jackass that lives in the single wide around the corner can throw wheat and pull birds. Call me elitist landowner if you want. Concentrating birds thru hard work will be harder for me by making it easier for everyone else to pull birds away from me...

Like me being able to pull up to jabo's dike and pouring out a bag of corn and shooting ducks. Betcha he'd have an issue with that. And don't give me that bs about normal ag practices. What farmers do you know that are broadcasting wheat instead of drilling it?

i know a lot of farmers in the pee dee that have started back broadcasting instead of drilling...and i dont mean somebody that farms 200 acres either

Funny, i know of no farmers who broadcast wheat. None. Not one.

Drilling is the most economical way to plant but it is not always possible.

If you pay a farmer 30% more for his seed he may top sew for you to get two hunts Thanksgiving week.

You make my point beautifully, phillip

Quote Originally Posted by mdb2 View Post
    Funny, i know of no farmers who broadcast wheat. None. Not one.
    Of course not. The low country and pee dee arent the same place. Nope. Not at all.

I would really like to hear the reasons why for the 5 no votes.
    Because they do not want any interferrence with their fields.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by mdb2 View Post
    Like me being able to pull up to jabo's dike and pouring out a bag of corn and shooting ducks. Betcha he'd have an issue with that. And don't give me that bs about normal ag practices. What farmers do you know that are broadcasting wheat instead of drilling it?
    I see your point. You are heavily invested in your birds. I get it.

However, may I present to you that since baiting ducks became illegal, or rather enforced...we have seen a major decline in wintering waterfowl?

If food was readily available, while getting shot at or not, dont you think more birds would come?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Stella is a good choice. I prefer it out of a tap though, not a bottle. Bottle gets bounced around too much, and the temperature variations can make it go skunk rather quickly.

Either way, freshest twelve pack of Stella when I can go backstand someone's sunflowers with a few bags of wheat and not fear a ticket.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I think with broadcasting wheat, we feed way more birds than we shoot and help boost the population leading to better dove shooting everywhere. I pay a bunch of money to be a member of a dove club and think it may hurt our success for a season or two but dove populations and migration paths will quickly bring more doves overall. Back when broadcasting was legal, barn burners seemed to be more common whether one was in a club or not. Well run clubs will still have the advantage by feeding before the season and building resident populations.

Either way, freshest twelve pack of Stella when I can go backstand someone's sunflowers with a few bags of wheat and not fear a ticket.
    Smiley face or not, that is exactly what happens. Local deer club gets local farmer to disc them a strip through the cut cotton across the street from my dove field so they can have them a thanksgiving day shoot. They come in and blow birds out that I've been working on since april.

That is the "if it feels good"liberalistic way of doing things.

So because I can't plant a big field means I can't shoot birds too?
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Nearly 30 years ago, we simply added the wheat strips between the Sunflowers and Corn. Even I could knock down a limit with a full choked .410 single shot, and thought I was quite the wingshooter with my little pump .20. I haven't seen doves in SC like that in 10 years, at least. I enjoyed riding the tailgate with my bucket in the dust with the teenagers, doing my part. It was even cooler when I got old enough to run the big JD with the cab helping to keep the clean strips clean.

Wheat without penalty will be awesome.

And I know of three farmers who broadcast their wheat, instead of drill it, locally.

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrown213 View Post
    So because I can't plant a big field means I can't shoot birds too?
    Who said you couldn't? I didn't. Again, you make my point for me. Why should duct tape and jablo get to have all the fun shooting ducks in their flooded corn ponds? That's not fair. I don't care how much time and effort and money they have in it. I should be able to pour out a bag of corn outside their dikes and shoot me some ducks, too. Why should they have all the fun? This is the liberal mentality that has this country screwed up.

My neighbor has a bigger house than me. I don't care that he worked hard for it. It's not fair. Wwaaaa, wwaaaa, waaa.

So, who are the other seven?